About Me

My photo
A FILIPINA MOTHER & A TRAVELER DISCOVERING PHILIPPINES ONE ISLAND AT A TIME.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Scary Night

January 13th, 10PM I turned off my laptop and crawled up to bed; it's time for me to sleep. Heavy rain pouring outside and I can feel the wind as I lie down. Minute after minute the wind gets stronger...and as I listened to the pouring rain I fell asleep.

12:55AM, I heard a loud whistling sound outside. I checked my phone and it's no longer charging. Something tells me the power has gone out. I lift my head a bit and turned and looked outside my window. The wind was stronger and so as the whistling sound. I saw the trees waving from left to right. I had to pull my bed away from the window and removed my bed sheet. I took my phone, my laptop (I panicked that my things might get blown away...) and flashlight. I didn't have to close the door, the wind took care of it for me. I sat down at the stairs. My mom looked for a second and I told her; I couldn't sleep I woke up and my face is all wet. I went to the sala and my sisters came down quickly and scared. I sat down again at the stairs as we all listened to the strong blowing wind and the loud whistle sound its making. I was like "Lord, help us get through this..."

It was a scary night. 3:45am, the winds faded. I don't hear the whistling sound anymore. But when I got up to my room, well it was a disaster. The windows were half-closed so my bed is all wet and dirty. I had to spend the night at the sofa with my dog beside me.

We were forced to change the bed sheets the next day. We literally cleaned the house, from changing the curtains, to throwing every junk we can find. We literally CLEANED our house. Every family in our lovely neighborhood was busy cleaning their garages, cars, swiped off the leaves and fallen tree branches everywhere, kids running around because school was suspended, husbands repairing their broken windows, antennas, roofs and what have they, teens helping their moms get fresh water, and men selling bangus and tilapia for 30/kilo from the overflowed fishponds.

2PM of Wednesday, I was bummed. I was lying in my bed enjoying my new sheet but there's nothing else for me to do. No power. No phone. No Internet. What a bum? I forced myself to listen to fm radio for as long as the battery can. Switched from one fm station to another...it was a boring day and I'm still coughing...

I'm glad they turned the power back on by 7 in the evening; I can go back to watching my favorite series. :)

No comments: