About Me

My photo
A FILIPINA MOTHER & A TRAVELER DISCOVERING PHILIPPINES ONE ISLAND AT A TIME.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Then Iya it is...

When I gave birth almost 3 months ago, I didn't think of what Sophia's nick would be. All I was raving about is how beautiful that name would be for her. I named her Sophia Angeline.

Why give her that name? First of, Sophia in greek means "Wisdom" or the ability or a result of an ability to think and act utilizing knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense and insight. (sobrang lalim!!!). Second, Angeline (a variant of Angela) which in greek means "Messenger of God". I also derived Angeline from my Grandma's name Evangeline omitting the first two letters "ev". That's where the name Sophia Angeline came from. True enough, my baby girl is an angel and for some reason the name perfectly fits her angelic face. :)

Two and a half months passed and some of my friends started telling me that Sophia is a bit too long for a nickname. But of course, as a mother, I will never get tired of calling her - Sophia. When I was pregnant, some of them tried calling her or insistently called her Pipay and to be honest, I never liked that nickname. I even got pissed and asked to stop calling her that. I guess to me, it just sounded so kalye. Or since I am the mother, I always wanted what's beautiful for my baby girl. And now that Sophia's turning 3 months, the need for a nickname was even greater. I even posted a poll in facebook asking my friends to vote or suggest whichever nickname is cool for Sophia. I scribbled her name on a piece of paper and wrote all the nicknames derived from Sophia Angeline possible. I ended up listing names such as:
  1. Pia
  2. Lian
  3. Lani
  4. Sophie
  5. Pippa
  6. Gene
  7. Geli
  8. Ien
  9. Iya
  10. Sage
  11. Page
  12. Angie
  13. Lili
  14. Gigi
  15. and Gelai (which i really hate because it sounds like "Melai" and I don't want Sophia to be associated with her!)

Poll results: "Pia" is leading. But I don't like Pia...now why the hell did I ever asked for suggestions pa diba?!

Ninang Sealdi is always and has been consistently asking me to call Sophia, Sophie instead. But I already have a family member who has the same name. There's even a "not so long" text threads with Ninang Nonie. It goes like this:

Me: Teka ok ba kayu sa Pia na nickname? Gusto ko sana ia or Iya ang spell, pwede ding lian noh?!
Nonie: Pia kasi common. la? hahaha
Me: Lili? hahaha
Nonie: hahahaha natawa ako
Me: Wala na eh, wala na talaga...yun na yun!
Nonie: Hmmm...Ping nalang :P
Me: Ayaw ko! Si paul gusto Gelai sabi ko unlike! Sounds like melai la
ng!
Nonie: Hahahahaha PING!!!! Hahahaha Sophia Angeline -- lengleng hahaha ping talaga!
Me: I want something cool na hindi ako isusumpa ng anak ko.
Me: Ay eto na! Gene?!
Nonie: Ahahahaha ang cool kaya ng Ping haha ano pa nga ba..Sasa? haha Gene! Ano na?!
Me: Pippa? hahaha
Me: Eli? I-lay ang pronounciation nya hahaha may ganun pa!!
Nonie: Oo!!! PIPA!!!
Nonie: Eli - book of eli? hahaha! Pipa!!! That's it! It's over!!! Pipa!!! hello!!!
Me: Sorry parang mas feel ko ang Iya...mamaya isumpa tayu ni Sophia niyan kung pipa hahaha!
Nonie: Hindeeeeeeee!!! Cute kaya. Kapatid ko nga Pipoy 'gang ngayon e. Haha Cute ang Pipa promise!!! Ikaw nga Poms e.
Me: Hahaha pagisipan ko
Nonie: Pipa!Pipa!Pipa

After that hilarious exchange of sms, I chatted with Abby my youngest sis asking her the same question - ANO BA ANG MAS OK NA NICKNAME FOR SOPHIA?! And I told her I'm really for Iya talaga. I asked her what she thinks of Pia..she said the same thing as Nonie did, Pia is so common na. Lo and Behold! Abby like Iya din pala!

In short --- katapus-tapusan Iya din ang naging nickname ni Sophia.

IYA NA! IYA NA HA! wala ng kokontra!

No comments: