About Me

My photo
A FILIPINA MOTHER & A TRAVELER DISCOVERING PHILIPPINES ONE ISLAND AT A TIME.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Twice The Pain...

For a first time Mom like me, every details on do's and don'ts in taking care of a baby is a must know. When I gave birth to Iya, the first thing I was taught of was how to breastfeed and along with other things such as cleaning her navel, what diapers should she use, how to make her burp after feeding and what have you. Also one important part of raising a child is completing her vaccinations. Of course when I was a child, I didn't know how important that is. Only it is too painful once the syringe prick my skin. I remember my Mom bringing me to the health center almost every month. I was 6 or 7 years as far as I can remember and these kids like me cried like hell.

Going back. Iya's first taste of vaccination was last 12th of March with her Pediatrician, Doctor Medrano. I didn't know there's such thing as 6in1 vaccine. Well they didn't have it back then. Mind you this 6in1 vaccine is one of the expensive vaccines for infants nowadays along with new PCV vaccine and God knows what else. The vaccine costs me P6,500 (discounted pa yan!) hahaha. After that, I started thinking whether I should continue with this or just go to the Health Center. As a first time Mom, again, I didn't know that vaccines in health centers are free. Donation lang kung meron kung wala edi wala. I asked my Nanny to check the health center here in our town and ask what would they require. The difference between health centers and clinics is that health centers doesn't have 6in1. One factor is how they handle infants once they inject the vaccine. But the fact that I won't be spending that much money would be a breather. So I decided to YES, let's just go to the health center.

Iya was scheduled last Wednesday for her set of vaccines. We were inside with all these babies crying in pain, hugged by their moms. Then I looked at Iya and her eyes were somewhat curious about the noise. It's like she feels somethings is coming...nyahahaha! It was our turn, I asked the lady in the clinic to hold Iya instead because, I GOT SCARED. I don't know if I can handle Iya crying while they're injecting her and I'm carrying her the same time. It's different talaga with her doctor. I was actually surprised that the lady who injected the vaccine didn't even pressed Iya's thigh. It's different with her doctor. Dahan-dahan..but this lady -- tinurok nalang basta-basta ang syringe. Nyay! What's worst pa with Iya's day was that she had to endure that twice in her both thighs -- plus the patak. Of course Iya cried and cried and parang nagsusumbong. We went home, put her in her crib, gave her a drop of calpol to prevent fever then she fell asleep.

After 2 hours Iya woke up, crying. I accidentally touched one of her thighs and she cried like hell in pain. Good thing my Nanny came back and instructed me to put 2 towels with warm water. Hindi ko makarga si Iya. She couldn't move her legs because of pain. We were doing warm compress until 7pm to ease the pain. Then, around 8pm...I changed Iya's shirt. I noticed her head, her hands, and her armpits are not warm but HOT. So I asked my Nanny to come over and sleep for the night to help me with Iya. Good thing though was that Iya is asleep the whole night and she never cried. It's like wala lang ang lagnat sa kanya. The next day, Iya woke me up with a very beautiful smile but wasn't able to capture though..

This is Iya, early morning in her crib
(morning of Thursday)
Iya playing with her pillow :)
It's like she's telling me, Mommy I feel much better now! :)

No comments: